Monday, November 29, 2010

The Rush for Immortality

The others pass me by indifferent
I strut and stop every now on my muddy path
Endless is my pursuit, it seems
I can see many celebrating at the finish line
Some more ‘new’ unlikely names leave me behind
And lo here’s a twist in my story, (Tsk…A story I’ve never had)
My road breaks into two, one hazy, the other gory.
Which path do I take to Junction Immortality?...


Yes want to be immortal! No it’s got nothing to do with reading all parts of the Twilight series back to back. Though I wouldn’t mind having a bf like the oh- so-sexy Robert Pattison (ahem) and passionate (double ahem) Edward Cullen! (Let’s not get drifted away) The urge however could contest a vampire’s thirst for blood!

For those who’ve not yet guessed the theme, read the sixth line of the stanza above for a hint. Others pat your back on my behalf. :)

It is indeed about a writer/author’s biggest desire…

IMMORTALISATION IN A BOOK

And this desire is burning my mind day in and out as I see millions others get so easily what’s a mirage for me!

A 12 year old girl in Bangalore has done it. MBAs, engineers, and people from all professions are doing it. Politicians, corporate tycoons, celebrities have either ruled the bestsellers chart or will pretty soon be there! (Dammit, celebrities like Obama, Sachin Tendulkar, Amitabh Bacchan, SRK and the likes need not even lift a pen…their fans would happily spare them of the trouble! Still they do! Guess immortality is also something they want customized! :P)

And here am I, feeling nowhere close to an inspiration for my book let alone, writing it! For those who’ve read Twilight, my frustration matches Edward’s when he’s not able to read minds or of Alice finding holes in her future visions! Not that I’m bothered whether being specially gifted that way would translate into writing a book, also immortality is a hand-me-down they needn’t bother about. But being gifted with writing talent MUST translate to atleast one book. Makes me question- Am I really even gifted? (Well I’m already contemplating a visit to Forks, bumping into a vampire…If I’m lucky like Bella Swan!)

Okay, I read your mind! I shouldn’t be so hard on myself! My first needn’t be magnum opus! Everyone’s isn’t. Leave magnum opus the questions that are killing me (pun intended) right now are.

  1. What to write?

Novel, novella or short stories; Fiction or non fiction; Love, Suspense or life in general? Should I broach upon a written documentary, write something educational, a celeb biography, an autobiography or memoir? Makes me clueless as ever.

Yes you’re allowed to laugh. Go ahead, coz even I’m laughing at the idea of me writing something educational, documentary! Anything related to research konks me off plus its sooo boring! Celeb Biography, yes I could write about SRK (I can hear you snickering, sulking). Hah I could compete Webster’s Encyclopedia in the number of volumes but then what would I say that’s not already said? And the biggest laugh goes to my autobiography…why would anybody XYZ read Meet Kaur’s autobiography? Those who know me, know me well enough and others need not take the trouble to pick up my biography when there are thousand more influential names on the book rack.

  1. Who would read my book?

Whatever be the theme, I’d like the person who’s picked my book to read it to the end! A page turner in short. Isn’t that the most basic yet the most tricky need of a book?

The simplest would be a bouquet of my poems published for a selected few people. But then I’m not the one who’d settle for something so easy for starters… The poem book could come anytime later! I’m still on the lookout for a story or ideas!

To conclude I’ll suggest another reading of the top stanza; it must make more sense now.

Meanwhile I’ll also keep the vampire option open! Edward Cullen or Wordsworth, whichever comes first! ;) :P

Immortality is what I seek…And immortality is what I’ll get!

Till then keep Blah Blahing!

P.S. Keep suggesting great ideas for a book! I’ll need all your support and encouragement even if it’s in favour of the vampire option! Though donno what the Indian version of Edward Cullen is gonna look like. :P

1 comment:

bharat chandran said...

'Endless is my pursuit' & so seems your ideas about book.. :-)

Hey, I reaching your blog for the first time and it seems interesting.. So let me know when you decide to start writing; coz may be I am also dreaming of writing a book!! :-)